Saint Cerbonius Cathedral
Without any doubt it’s the most representative historical monument of Massa Marittima and it’s one of the most important religious architectonic sample in Italy. The Cathedral is dedicated to St. Cerbonius, the first bishop of Populonia’s diocese.
The plurality of the styles, so evident in the Cathedral’s architectonical structure, reflects the several building phases going on during the time. According to the most reliable hypothesis, right in the place where the Cathedral rises, since 1016 there was a church dedicated to St. Cerbonius.
In the XIII century the present building was started, having three naves and according to the Pisan Romanesque style. In 1287, under the plan of Giovanni Pisano, the building was extended and during the first half of the 1300 the lateral chapels and the apse in Gothic style were built, while the polygonal dome is dating back to the fifteenth century.
During the following centuries the Cathedral was modified and enlarged several times, so to have the today’s aspect.
Even the bell tower is the result of different building phases: while the lower part still preserves its original Romanesque style, the upper part, which is an imitation of the XIII century, dates back to the beginning of the XX century.
Among the masterpieces inside the Cathedral we want to point out the baptismal font by Giroldo da Como and the ark of Saint Cerbonius, made by Goro di Gregorio in order to host the relics of the saint.