The Abundance Public spring waters, built in 1265, was part of the town planning reorganization of the Free Municipality of Massa Marittima.
So the building as well as the Palaces built in the same period in the Cathedral square, where the political and administrative powers were practiced, had a public use and were intended for the wellness of the entire town.
Until 1778 the overlooking building was used as storage for wheat: every inhabitant had to store there the 5% of his own harvest in order to contribute to the support of the whole town under necessity.
In the ages the building has been readapted several times.
During the restoration works in 1998-1999, an astonishing painting was brought to light. It’s a rare evidence of wall-painting dating back to the XIII century, having an unusual profane subject that seems to be originated by the pagan rites for fertility.
Today the Abundance Palace looks totally restored and is used both as conference room and exhibition centre.