Clock Tower and Sienese Fortress
The Clock Tower was built in 1228 by the Free Municipality of Massa Marittima as the beginning of a new expansion to Cittanuova. On the clock side there’s an inscription where is carved the year when the Tower was built. Only the lower part of the Tower is original, as it was partially destroyed by the Sienese when they conquered the town.
In 1413 the first bell was put on the Tower and in 1760 it was replaced by the one still in use.
In 1443 was added a clock for the first time; the one you can see now dates back to 1610.
The Sienese fortress was built when Massa Marittima fell under the rule of Siena in 1335; the Sienese settled in the Monteregio Castle and built the fortress consisting of two wings of double walls, wide from 42 m. to 15 m. just in the point where the Silici Door is; this Door used to divide the town in two parts. In order to be able to use the Tower, the Sienese built the magnificent arch, projected by Agnolo di Ventura, work of high engineering for that time, having a span of about 21 m.